That's pretty much how I describe my running skills. A few years back, I got peer pressured into a work running team, and here I am now - 4 (!!) half marathons under my belt, and having spent more money than I would have thought possible on running shoes.
While my running style is definitely Phoebe over Rachel, I'm having a blast. If you're new to running, here are a few of my favourite run tips:
- Get some good tunes. This is priority #1. Bad shoes I can handle (though I don't recommend!), but bad music? No way. My personal preference: 90s Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys. You can dig it.
- A close second - good shoes. Get over to your local running speciality store, and find one of their experts that seems friendly. They'll be able to fit shoes to your foot and running style. Already running? Bring your favourite pair, even if they're worn out, and they'll be able to give you some good recommendations.
- App it up! If you're a type A like yours truly, "go running" is too vauge. I picked a few podcasts and apps to get me on a schedule that works, and pushes me to get better. Favs: Couch to 5k, and the local SunRun training program that I schedule in Runkeeper.
- All about the bliiiiing. Enter a local race or two (I love a destination run too, runDisney is my running jam), and rock that medal with pride! I wear mine to the office for a few days after (Kashooers can vouch for that!). Be proud of your progress, no matter what place you finish in!
- Have the best time! Embrace your run style (dance-running like Phoebe), run in the rain and feel like a super athlethe (even if you're not, rain running is hard core). Get out there and do you, at 1 km/hour or 10.
Have some running tips? A favourite running soundtrack? Share them with me in the comments!
Kasey is one of our marketers at Kashoo (as she says, "you may have got an email or two from me" :) ). She loves accounting, running, and travel adventures (just ask her about Air Canada points).