Are you also bundled up today under layers of blankets and socks? Maybe even some gloves while indoors?!?! Here in Toronto, it’s currently a balmy -18C (-29C if you factor in windchill). With plenty of fresh snow (and more in the forecast!) across North America, it’s looking like a snow day or two is in the future for thousands of entrepreneurs.
But maybe not. For better or for worse, the cloud is flipping the idea of the "adult" snow day upside-down. So while we still absolutely recommend that you get out and toss a few snowballs or build a snowman with the kids, here are a few cloud-based apps (many of which we use here at Kashoo!) that can ensure you don't miss a beat when it comes to working through Mother Nature's wrath...
- Dropbox or Box.net lets you store your files online, making it easy to collaborate with your team and get the latest version of the data you need... especially when you can't meet in person. Plus, you can access them from a variety of devices: laptop, iPad, smartphone.
- VoIP phone systems like Ringcentral let you forward your office number to your home or mobile phone. Many VoIP services even let you forward calls to your computer!
- Some simple cloud accounting software like Kashoo (surprise!) lets you crank out financial transactions like sending invoices and entering expenses from wherever, whenever. This is particularly useful when you can't get into the office due to absurdly named snowstorms (see, Hercules).
- Communication tools like Skype make real-time conversation between your team super easy when you're not all in the same building. Here at Kashoo, we use Skype for both one-on-one and team instant messaging, team phone calls, and even small group video chats—though my three layer outfit today might not be all that flattering.
- Customer relationship management apps like Salesforce help you keep tabs on your business, your clients, and your processes. Being able to follow-up with customers and work with your team to provide the best service to your customers is key, no matter the weather.
- Hot chocolate mix, though thoroughly unrelated to small biz tech, is critical when you're snowed in. Enjoying some of the perks that a snow day brings can not only make you feel good, but they can actually help you increase your productivity. (Note: there is minimal science to support this claim, but it feels true, right? Especially if you have those tiny marshmallows...)
Stay warm out there, Kashooers! And hey, if you do get out in the snow for some fun, tweet us a pic!